Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spending my Saturday in the Text

In some ways I long for the thrill of waking up on Saturday morning with the sole and express purpose of watching cartoons.  Our family growing up had a limited number of channels which did not include much cartoon programming throughout the duration of the week, so Saturday morning cartoons were a special treat.  The thrill of getting up on Saturdays, however, has waned for me and actually turned into a longing for sleep.  I would rather spend my mornings in bed so as to relish in the relaxation and lack of responsibility that comes with the weekends.  Yet, seminary study has brought change to my Saturday routine.
   On this blessed Saturday I am reading heavy, heady texts for my Systematic Theology course.  Systematic theology requires a lot of every student, forcing one to reflect and analyze every aspect of one's belief system.  The course is challenging to both heart and mind through in depth exploration of what it means to be a Christian and a Lutheran.  This exploration is a lengthy process that requires a lot of time and effort to adequately reach its aims and destinations, which is why I am devoting my Saturday morning to it.
   In some ways it is lamentable to sacrifice little moments of beloved free time that I have cherished for a long time such as my Saturday mornings.  Studying seems to be a never ending process that is hard to satisfy.  Thus, one can never really be done studying.  There is always more to read and always more to write.  This fact would seem to add even more to one's regret over sacrificing free time to a pursuit that can never be accomplished, but for those of us with a clear call to full-time ministry it is unavoidable.  We enter into study that requires us to sacrifice time, relocate our lives,and interrupt our plans.  This is a process that places a number of undesirable claims on us, and yet, we can do no other.  God call's us from whatever we are doing to give up things like free time on Saturday mornings into theological study, reflection and preparation.  So, while there are many moments in which I say to myself, "There are a thousand other things I would rather be doing right now!", I have to honestly admit that there is no place I would rather be.  Instead of sneaking theological reading time into lunch breaks and coffee hours, I am here, immersed in theological reflection and preparation at Wartburg Theological Seminary.  There is no place I would rather be...

No comments:

Post a Comment